Remedial massage is a hands-on modality of manual therapy designed to decrease pain, improve recovery time and increase the function of muscles, joints and movements.
What’s the primary goal of Sports Massage?
The primary goal is to decrease recovery time, allowing you to train more frequently, stimulating more strength and hypertrophy. Alongside reducing recovery time, sports massage;
- Reduces muscle tension
- Removes muscle knots (trigger points)
- Decrease muscle soreness DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
- Improve blood flow to treatment areas
- Decrease stress and cortisol release following exercise
How can sports massage help improve your sporting performance?
By improving the mobility of your muscles and joints, sports massage may reduce the chance of injury and potential to generate more power through movements. Sports massage may promote blood flow to muscles and joints, which may transport more nutrients and oxygen to the muscles and joints. Sports massage has been shown to be an effective way to improve the removal of lactic acid following sports performance, aiding recovery. The main benefit of sports massage is to decrease fatigue & improve the frequency that you can train or compete, allowing greater training potentials.
Sports Massage helps psychological performance:
- Research shows that sports massage causes vasodilation of the skin and muscles, improving blood flow and activation of the parasympathetic nervous system receptors.
- Post-event sports massage can blunt the stress response of training and competing, helping to decrease recovery time and the feeling of fatigue.